Skip to main content

Gluten Free Mince Pies - who does it best?

It’s that time of year when the supermarkets try and persuade you that there products are the best in the hope that they win the Christmas war.
I don’t know about anyone else but I love mince pies. But since it was suggested that I turn gluten free i honestly thought that I might loose out on them because they might not taste like what I am used to. To say I was surprised was an understatement. All that I tried still symbolised Christmas for me so on that front I haven’t lost out.

Aldi’s - £1.69 for 4

as they are doing so well with other gluten free products I have to admit I had high hopes for there mince pies. The pie itself didn’t crumble when i first took a bite and was crispy and sweet. I did find that the sugar on top did end up everywhere. For me personally there was not enough of an after taste with the mincemeat. And maybe slightly less than there could of perhaps been. But over all a very good Mince Pie 





Morrison’s - £2.00 for 4

The crust was thicker than expected and was crumbly when you take a bite. I did find that you tasted the pastry more than the mincemeat and that the pastry was the after taste rather than the anything else.
I do think that more could be made of the packaging as well rather than just putting a small design in the top corner. It doesn’t feel very festive. It feels like an after thought.






Tesco - £2.00 for 4 - Deep filled 



 I was surprised I have to say by the pies from Tesco. They were a good mix of pastry and the right amount of filling and the pastry didn’t taste any different to one that wasn’t gluten free.
I like how the front of the packaging is displayed with the mix of lettering placement and the background photo of the the pies, one with a bite out.





Sainsbury’s -  £2.00 for 4 
Iced mince pie with Creanberry and Citrus mincemeat



These were the only ones that at the time of buying were available with icing on top. They also are the only ones that had a flavoured mincemeat. The pies also came with a fine gold glitter dusting on top that for me added to the Christmas feel.
The combination of all three parts of the pie worked well together with enough of each that nothing felt like it was lacking. It also left a nice after taste. (The temptation was to much before I remembered to take a photo of it right out the box)


Asda - £1.50 for 4 

The pies were well filled so you didn’t feel like you were loosing out. But I will say that the pastry I felt was dry and that there was a lot of it in each bite. I also think that the pies would be better served hot instead of just out the packet.
I like the packaging, it feels like it is for the season.

Over all I have to say I am surprised at the different choice available for people like me that are gluten free. I would have to say that my favourite out of them all is Sainsbury’s. For the flavoured mincemeat and the option of icing. I will be making the effort to go and get more because I mean it’s not even December yet I still have an excuse to eat them 😉


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self care during the good and bad days

So something I've learnt over the last 6 1/2 years since being diagnosed and the death of my husband that self care really helps during the good and bad times. Over this time I have tried many things and found what does and doesn't work for me.  https://www.thebodyshop.com/en-gb/range/view-all/tea-tree-skin-clearing-facial-wash/p/p000039 This stuff has been great for my skin. I got the 400ml bottle and my goodness it is worth the money as you really don't need a lot. And then smell for me is a really calming smell which also helps.  http://uk.loccitane.com/shea-butter-hand-cream--travel-size-,83,1,29776,1030671.htm   I've tried a lot of different hand creams previously and was recommended to try them from here. To say I was impressed was an understatement. It covers so well. You really don't need a lot and it really works on dry hands.  It may seem a bit pricy to some but i think it's worth it for the way it left my hands feeling.  Carmex lip

Not in the best head space.

So turns out I’ve been battling a mental health episode for at least a three months if not longer and I haven’t been aware. Before anyone questions why I didn’t know what was happening it’s because I typically don’t see what’s happening until I’m at a point that someone goes “WE NEED YOU TO SPEAK TO SOMEONE” It builds up slowly and manifests to a point that I’m really in a negative head space. I’ve learnt this time and the hard way that everything that I thought was happening wasn’t. It was my anxiety and grief having a fight off and I was the looser. Not to forget the ruminations of things that might happen or I might do ( some of those thoughts are hard ) Insomnia Panic that I’m seeing things out corner of my eye that aren’t there Negative thoughts - not good enough etc  Real bouts of sadness Not really wanting to eat - snacking  Racing heart Believing things are wrong with me when they aren’t  Those are only a few of the things that I have been dealing with that I am aw

If this week has taught me anything

If this week has taught me anything it’s that the grief monster can hit at any time and totally floor you. That three years feel like just yesterday. And that there is people around to give a hug when needed. So last night in the midst of volunteering it hit me like a ton of bricks. The tears started and it took me a long time to proper calm myself. I’d manage to tell the coach right at the start of the night that i was struggling and that it had been a hard week. That it felt like just yesterday that he’d died and not nearly three years. I’m lucky with the fact that the coach I work with also was my husbands coach so that in itself is a help. I’d managed one class and was more than half way through the second when a shot I threw was called rubbish and one look to the other lady that coaches with me and I was a mess. If I hadn’t of already been sitting on the floor I think I might of ended up there. Luckily for me she also knows my history and shouted on the main coach who got to me